Did you know that there’s a significant overlap between bipolar disorder and substance abuse? 56% of people with bipolar also struggle with addiction.
According to DualDiagnosis.org:
- 56% of people with bipolar disorder experienced drug or alcohol addiction during their lifetime
- 46% of that group abused alcohol or were addicted to alcohol
- 41% had abused drugs or were addicted to drugs
- Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance among people with bipolar disorder
More than half of those who live with bipolar have also lived with addiction. As such, dual diagnosis - that is, a mental health issue coupled with a substance addiction - is the rule rather than the exception.
The realization that there’s a strong interplay between bipolar and addiction prompts more questions. For example, you may be wondering
- If I have bipolar and substance abuse issues, what type of therapy do I need?
- What approaches are effective?
- Where does past trauma come into the equation?
- How can I address both bipolar disorder and addiction and heal on all levels?